April 2, 2010

Christopher Moore...in Case You Missed It

Major fan-girl here for absurdist fiction author Christopher Moore. A Dirty Job is my favorite, even though it's tough to convince somebody that hilarity ensues after a man's wife dies in childbirth. Next in my love-fest with the author are Bloodsucking Fiends, which was my introduction to Moore - thanks Mary! - and Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, followed by You Suck and Fluke: I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings. Although for my friend Gail last year's Fool supplanted A Dirty Job, I feel as though I need to re-read King Lear to do it justice, and simply haven't had the time. I do plan to read the brand-spanking-new Bite Me, though - which follows Bloodsucking Fiends and You Suck in a series - as soon as possible. While the second book wasn't as fantabulous as the first, the excerpt for the third looks hilarious.

Lamb, btw, is the perfect book for any friend with a great sense of humor, whether or not they read a lot of fiction. I suggested it for my husband, who reads a lot of dry crap for his law practice and so doesn't do a lot of recreational reading, and now he's convinced "this guy writes like me."

Anyway, before I digress further...Christopher Moore wrote a short piece for the Huffington Post a couple of weeks ago. If you blinked, you probably missed OMFG, Horatio, in which he writes about language. If you like Moore, surely one of the reasons you do is that he's a master wordsmith, something I got into when I interviewed him a few years ago. I hope he writes more for HuffPo in the future; OMFG is a good start.


Share/Bookmark

No comments: