September 29, 2010

RIP Greg Giraldo


TMZ reported, the Washington Post picked up, and friend and fellow comedian Jim Norton confirmed: Greg Giraldo is dead at age 44 after an accidental prescription drug overdose over the weekend.

Although I stopped actively following his career awhile back, he was once among my favorite comedians; way back in 2003 I named him the most consistently funny guest on Colin Quinn's old Comedy Central show, and in 2004 referred to him as one of my Grown Women Crushes. In recent years, though, his humor became more bitter, although I thought him very funny when he guested on The Ref this year and always enjoyed his Comedy Central Roast appearances. It seemed to me he stopped being as funny and became more rage-filled and under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol as his marriage failed. That's when I stopped actively seeking him out online and on television.

Even so, I'm incredibly sorry that this man who brought so much laughter into the world left it the way he did. Rest in peace, Greg Giraldo.

You will be missed.


Share/Bookmark

No comments: